E-PUBLIUS UNUM

Out Of The Electronic Many, One

Name:
Location: Washington, DC, United States

Friday, October 20, 2006

THE NY METS ARE MY FAVORITE SQUADRON

Last night, I received what I am hoping will be the only disappointment in what so far has been a really excellent year (I am also a fan of the Chicago Bears, Deval Patrick, and Aaron Sorkin) when the Mets fell to the Cardinals last night in game 7 of the NLCS.

I took years off from caring about baseball until moving to Boston in 2003 and getting swept into the championship business of the following years. I was never properly a Sox fan, but in solidarity with my roommate Nils and my city, I was happy to see them win.

The celebration on the night they took the series was one of those things that makes Grinch hearts grow three sizes.

Afterward, I was looking for a place to truly commit my baseball heart, for a team to go steady with, and slowly came to realize that my team was the Mets. This happened for a number of reasons:

- At home in Virginia we used to go watch the Tidewater/Norfolk Tides, the Mets’ farm team.

- My first little league team: The Mets (when you’re a Met you’re a Met all the way, etc).

- Also in Virginia, we had TBS out of Atlanta, which would often show the Amazin’ Era team (Strawberry, Gooden, Hernandez, Gary Carter [my favorite, pictured at right], etc) beating hell from the Atlanta Braves.

- Josh Lymon is a Mets fan.

- The team this year is a great set of well-rounded talents, none too overwhelming, and no big holes in the lineup. These are the kinds of teams I like to watch most of all.

This labor of love has gotten boring, so I’m reining it in. I dig those Mets, even if I have to share them with David Brooks, who is a totally suck fan that only complains about how his “beloved” Mets are going to disappoint him again this year. That guy is such a chump. It’s clear from his personality that Brooks has some real self-loathing to work through. I guess if I was his father I wouldn't have loved him either.

The Mets are the best team in baseball right now, and by the vagaries of timing and injuries and hot streaks and cold streaks, they didn’t get the ring to prove it. It was sad, but it was some really great baseball. Next year…

In Other News:

Deval Patrick got a nod in the Washington Post today, and did just fine in the latest gubernatorial debates last night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home