E-PUBLIUS UNUM

Out Of The Electronic Many, One

Name:
Location: Washington, DC, United States

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

AMERICA THIS IS SERIOUS

America! Happy 230th! You still look pretty good these days, staying healthy, staying strong. Sure you've lost some of your luster, you're a little overweight, and you've got some debt, but you're working on it. Hey, Rome was just getting to its feet at your age. The British Empire was still in short-pants at 230. You're doing just fine.

I must admit, though, I do worry about you. As you get older, America, I notice you becoming more and more like your father: refusing to assent to laws; affecting to render Military power independent of and superior to Civil power; depriving us of trial by jury; transporting us beyond Seas to be tried for pretend offences. You've even taken to hanging around with a plain spoken, homely, simple George, who many suspect of being mentally ill.

But it's a phase. The 230s are a tough age. Your body is changing in ways you don't understand; you're having feelings you've never had before; there's hair where there wasn't hair before - plus you just had that millenial transition, a couple of wars, all these energy problems, the rest of the world just keeps messing with you, and, well, you know - you'll grow out of it. I'm confident of that.

As for now, happy sort-of-birthday America, and here's to another 230. I still love you, and pledge to you - mutually, I hope - my Life, my Fortune, and my Sacred Honor.

2 Comments:

Blogger DarrellH said...

Hurrah, USA, indeed!!!!!!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Good to have you on board, Darrell.

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home